Sunday, December 21, 2008

Tears on Christmas

Today my family is celebrating Christmas. Weird to be celebrating on the 21st as we all know that the 25th is the special day…but nevertheless, in a few hours we will be opening presents. I have the great country of Brazil to thank for this early gift giving, and I am not even bitter while saying that. My parents have decided to go on a mission trip with my church that leaves on Christmas Eve and comes back on New Years Eve. I know this will be a wonderful experience for them, and I am so excited to hear about all that the Father teaches them through service to others, but I am a little selfish. See…I am a very family oriented person. More so than most, and I have never really been ashamed of this. The relationship I have with every one of my siblings and my parents is…just beautiful. It is God given and God blessed. And that very gift from God is the reason that there have been and will be many tears on Christmas. Mom and Dad are leaving. My oldest sister, my best friend, is living in Korea right now. I havent seen her since the 1st of June, and now with the holiday season right on my doorstep, I find I am missing here more than EVER. And my brother and sister-in-law are going to visit my sister-in-laws family for Christmas. A family that has grown up and no longer sleeps together on Christmas Eve. A family that doesnt wake up and run down the stairs together to see what Santa brought. None of mom’s traditional coffee cake on Christmas morning…ahhh. I need my family together :-(

3 comments:

  1. I found your blog! hah

    Let me just say, I am totally with you on the whole family thing. This is the first year my oldest brother won't be at home for Christmas. He'll be with his girlfriend in California. My other brother will be here Christmas morning, but they're going to visit his wife's family after we do presents. So it will probably just be me and my mom. It's really sad, and I don't think I'll be able to handle it! But you get to go to Europe! How awesome is that?! When do ya'll leave? I hope you have a very Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I leave on Saturday..the 27th. And it IS exciting...but yeah ya feel me on the whole lonely at Christmas thing. Its tough...growing up and people doing their own deal. And HEY! Merry Christmas to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm late in reading this apparently. It made me cry, you're my best friend and I'm sorry I wasn't there. But hey I'll see you in a week!!!!

    ReplyDelete