Thursday, December 25, 2008

A Grinch Epiphony

So this Christmas season has taught me a lot. First of all, I was surprised to see myself so laid back and calm when it came time to open presents. I usually am a bouncing ball of excitement, anxious to see what everyone thought to buy for me. Not necessarily in a selfish way, but in a curious, I-wonder-what-you-think-I-would-like, kind of way. But not this year. This year I was the picture of calm, opening my presents slowly...more concerned about what everyone else was getting and their reactions of joy. I suppose this is a sign of growing up. I LOVE growing up. Anyone that knows me well knows that I seek responsibility and strive to be seen as mature...but the odd thing is...the lack of excitement about my own presents kinda makes me sad. I am now out of the "excited for my Christmas presents" stage of life. I loved that time of life! When Christmas just gave you the tingles, and the excitement was hardly, and surely not gracefully, contained. But, I should be happy because now I get to find my joy in the happiness of others, and selflessness is something I could SURELY use more of in my life. So, yes, that is the first thing I learned. And the second, you ask?...Well it is that family TRULY TRULY is what makes the holidays special. Without my sister, parents, brother and his wife around today, I discovered that it didnt matter who bought me what...I just really wanted to spend time with my loved ones. Why have I seen Dr. Suess' "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" soooooo many times yet never truly taken the Grinch's enlightened words to heart?

"It came without ribbons. It came without tags. It came without packages, boxes, or bags. Maybe Christmas doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas...means a little bit more"
-The Grinch

1 comment:

  1. well of course I just now read this after you left. I couldn't agree more. Family is just so important. It's the feeling of comfort and familiarity that is essential to the holiday spirit. I'm so glad that you got to spend time with at least some of your family, even if the ones you really wanted to be there couldn't. Hopefully I'll talk to you before you leave! but if not I'll go ahead and say have a great trip and get some rest on the plane! :)

    ReplyDelete